Restored DB running outrageously slowly.

Forum with tips, support, etc, on using the PostgreSQL database with Poker Tracker. Please post any PostgreSQL questions here.

Restored DB running outrageously slowly.

Postby Mullin » Thu May 08, 2008 2:20 am

System:
Vista (4Gb ram, quad-core CPU)
PT v2
PokerAce Hud
SpadeEye


My original problem:
Main HD was filling up, wanted to move my PTDB to my secondary HD which had tons of room.

What I did:

Backed up DB via Postgresql DB Functions/Backup
Uninstalled Postgresql (v8.2)
Installed Postgresql (v8.3) on secondary HD
Restored DB via Postgresql DB Functions/Restore

Next Problem:

Started playing (at Full Tilt)
Was running PT (autoimport), SpadeEye (intervalscan: 5mins), PokerAce Hud... as I do everytime I play
The whole system was running super-slow :evil: ie. Full Tilt software was extremely laggy, I was timing out regularly (username has disconnected, username has reconnected), buttons were operating on a delay (click it now, 2 secs later it works)
Closed PAHud, fixed everything until SpadeEye rescanned, lag returned, not as bad. Same when PT autoimported.

Question 1: Could this be due to the DB being on a different HD to the programs accessing it ie. a bottleneck caused by HD transmission speeds?

What I did next:

Uninstalled Postgresql (v8.3)
Reinstalled Postgresql (v8.3) on main HD
Restored DB from orignal backup

New Problem:

New DB is extremely slow to access :evil: eg:
SpadeEye takes about 20 seconds to read 1 table, usu. takes 20 seconds to read the full list (40ish tables)
PT is importing hands so slowly its unusable. eg. If you use the 'Import Hand Histories/Tournament Summaries' to import manually, normally the status window lists the individual hand numbers as they are imported and the numbers change quicker than the eye, now each one takes about 2 full seconds to import.

Final Question(s):

Is my New Problem and Next Problem both due the fact that I'm restoring a v8.2 backup to Postgresql v8.3 DB (I was under the impression this was fine as they are both v8.x)

Is it likely to be something else altogether?


Thanks for your time.

Mullin 8-)
Mullin
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:33 am

Re: Restored DB running outrageously slowly.

Postby ptrack pat » Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 am

Did you try doing a FULL vacuum/analyze after you restored the database? That may help.

I don't think going from 8.2 to 8.3 would be the issue but if the v/a doesn't help, try installing 8.2 instead and restoring into that.
ptrack pat
 
Posts: 4841
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Restored DB running outrageously slowly.

Postby Joesss » Sun May 17, 2009 9:19 am

@ *Mullin

Did you come to a conclusion on this one? Have nearly the same problem although I deleted version 8.3 as it didn't work at all for me. Then I installed version 8.2.X again but the the very slow result in both in reading stats and importing HH's.

Thanks,

Joesss
Joesss
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:03 pm


Return to PostgreSQL Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests